I went to a Planned Parenthood clinic today, after recently setting up an appointment with a lovely person over the phone.
Things that they helped me with today at the clinic:
- starting birth control at no cost, since I am still looking for a job after losing my career and insurance last year
- offered me a possible job opportunity and asked me to apply
- gave me forms to start low-coverage, free insurance
- gave me resources for clinics to help with depression and eating disorders until I can get insurance that will cover it, and provided me with vitamins
- talked to me about severe depression and eating disorders, among other things, that I have struggled with over the last couple of years, in a very understanding and empathetic manner that is extremely hard to come by in day to day life, at a time I really needed it
Things they did not do that lots of extremists condemn PP for:
- give me an abortion
Things that still wouldn’t be anyone’s business even if I did want one:
- getting an abortion
Here’s a handy dandy chart for you:
Oh wait, but you can probably knock off some of the percentage for cancer screening and prevention soon, since the Susan G Komen foundation decided to pull their funding. Here’s a little PSA: Pulling funding for cancer preventing screenings won’t stop people from getting abortions, it will stop them from getting cancer preventing screenings.
Planned Parenthood does so, so much more than abortions, but nobody seems to realize that. Do you know how many resources and posters I saw urging people to step forward, and offering help, if they were suffering abuse - not just sexual, but any kind? Or resources for people with children, or who wanted children? Do you know how much it meant to me just to have a kind woman sitting across from me, listening to me and offering support while I talked about losing my job, being homeless, and dealing with depression and an eating disorder? And offer me a potential job, after I’ve been looking for what feels like forever, and offering me encouraging words?
Anyone who condemns this organization and its people for what they do: Fuck you. They do so, so much more, and even if all they did was offer abortions, that still doesn’t give you a free pass to shove your morals down someone else’s throat. It’s none of your business what someone else does with their body.
They are helping people. If you have a problem with that, then I have a problem with you.
Planned Parenthood should not be a political warzone.